Skip to main content

PG&E logo

Rebuilding Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

PG&E has set up a dedicated team within our Building and Renovation Services department to work directly with customers impacted by the wildfires.  Each customer within the fire-damage zones designated by CAL FIRE who needs new or changed service from PG&E will be assigned a PG&E representative to help with new or modified gas or electric service.  This will provide a consistent, streamlined rebuilding process in Napa, Lake, Sonoma and Mendocino counties.

Customers can visit PG&E’s dedicated Customer Connections website,, where new service installations, temporary construction power or other services can be initiated and tracked.

Most common questions about establishing new gas and/or electric service with PG&E in areas impacted by the 2017 Northern California wildfires:

Q: How far can I move my meter panel away from the original location without incurring charges?

A: Under the CPUC’s rules, PG&E is allowed to install like-for-like gas and electric services at PG&E’s expense, and at no cost to the customer. This includes trenching from the gas and electric main to the customer’s home.  In addition, PG&E will treat meter relocations that are within 10 feet of its previous location, and panel upgrades no greater than a standard 200-amp rating as “like for like” service and complete this work at PG&E’s expense.  Under CPUC rules, all other relocation requests will be established as a new service and the standard allowances and costs to the customer for new service apply.

The detailed Gas and Electric Service requirements (the green book requirement) are available here.


The PG&E Job Owner for a customer will visit the job site to identify how the home’s power will be served.  In Coffey Park, and other locations where there are temporary poles and overhead lines, the Job Owner will determine whether service will need to come from a temporary electric overhead pole or from the underground system, depending on the proximity to the distribution splice box located in the Public Utility Easement. Customers should reach out to their PG&E Job Owner for specific questions.

The new permanent underground gas and electric system currently under construction in Coffey Park is expected to be complete by the end of 2018.


The gas riser (gas meter) and house line (line that serves the home) will need to be staked and marked in conjunction with gas meter clearance requirements, that will be provided by the PG&E Job Owner.   If there is any deviation from the previous gas meter location, please work with your Job Owner.

Q: What if I want to move my electric or gas meter to a different location, to the other side of the house for example?

A: The new location has to adhere to location requirements, as outlined here in the detailed Gas and Electric Service requirements (the green book requirement).

If a customer is upgrading the electric panel to greater than 200 amps, or moving it to a new location, it’s considered a new service.  PG&E will need to engineer and design for the new location. Any increase on panel load greater than 200 amps will incur cost.

If the service location is staying within 10 feet or less and the load is staying to what the customer originally had to their house, is what we consider “like-for-like” and is free of charge.

Anything beyond the 10 feet would be considered new business and would incur associated costs and allowances. That includes:

Q: What about granny units and other dwellings on my property?

A: If the ADU, or accessory dwelling unit (different units are described on the Sonoma County website), is served from the main house panel, there would be no additional PG&E costs.

If the ADU has a separate address, and approved permits by the city or county, it is eligible to have its own gas or electric meter. In that case, it would be considered “New Business” and subject to those typical new service costs.

PG&E will follow Electric Tariff Rule 2 and Rule 16 requirements; please ask your Job Owner for cost calculation.  For example, if you have a dwelling on your property with a second address that is greater than 500 feet away from the main service, certain costs will incur.

Approximate costs (for a new extension and new arrangement that would require a separate address):

For more information, please visit and click on Billing for Affected Customers.

PG&E is continuing to work across the company to review policies and procedures to ensure it is supporting and providing relief to its customers who were impacted by the 2017 Northern California wildfires. Customers can reach PG&E any time of day through its customer service helpline at 1-800-743-5000 or the new web page, focused on rebuilding, located at